There are five Civil War Trail markers that tell some of the local history of the Civil War. The marker locations are shown below along with the significance of the events. Enjoy the history!
The Union Meetings
Harrison County was one of the first jurisdictions in Western Virginia to support the Union in the early days of the Civil War. A pro-Union meeting was called for on November 24th, 1860 just after Abraham Lincoln had been elected president and many Southern states were talking of secession. The Union Meetings are commemorated with a Civil War Trail plaque on the Courthouse Plaza located at W. Main Street and Third Street.
Northwestern Virginia Academy (1841-1894)
From 1861 through 1865, Clarksburg provided housing for hundreds of Union Soldiers at the Northwestern Virginia Academy which was used as a barracks, a military prison and a hospital. Besides the Academy, every church in town sheltered sick soldiers, some of who did a great deal of damage to the buildings. Today, where the Northwestern Virginia Academy stood, it is now known as the Tower School Site and is located at the intersection of Second Street and Hewes Avenue. A Civil War Trail plaque commemorates the schools contribution.
For the protection of Clarksburg and the vital North Western Virginia Railroad, the earthworks and trenches constructed by the Union troops on Lowndes Hill can still be seen in Lowndes Hill park which is just .6 miles from the Courthouse. The railway line ran from Grafton in the East to Parkersburg in the West and was a feeder line from the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. On May 30th, 1861, three companies of the 14th Ohio Infantry arrived in Clarksburg by train, the first Union troops to do so. On June 19th, the 8th Indiana Infantry arrived and began helping build the fortifications on Lowndes and Pinnicinick Hills. The soldiers did not live in the trenches but rather in camps in town. Drive to the top of the hill on 2nd Street from W. Main St. and turn right into the into the entrance of Lowndes Park. A Civil Wars Trail plaque commemorates this site.
Thomas J. “Stonewall” Jackson’s Birthplace
Located at 330 W. Main St., across from the Courthouse Plaza, is a plaque marking the birthplace of “Stonewall” Jackson, Lt. General CSA who lived between 1834 and 1863. The house, in which he was born, stood in what is now downtown Clarksburg. His body is buried in Lexington, Virginia.
Located on E. Pike St. just ½ mile from the heart of Clarksburg. With Clarksburg being a transportation hub and therefore strategically important during the Civil War, it became a major depot in 1861. From here, wagon trains carried supplies to Union forces at Cheat Mountain and on the Kanawha River. As the quantities of quartermaster and commissary stores increased, a second town grew up around the railroad depot with large warehouses. A plaque marking this area is displayed.
Union Meeting Marker
Northwestern Academy Marker
Clarksburg Defenses Marker
Stonewall "Birthplace" Marker
Towers School Plaque