Historic Buildings


Empire National Bank Building
This seven story, steel constructed, brownstone and brick building at W. Main and 4th Street was constructed in 1907 and is an example of Renaissance Revival Architecture. It was built by Virgil L. Highland, founder and first president of the bank and its bank charter is the oldest in Clarksburg. The interior was renovated in 1953. (Downtown Historic District)


Empire National Bank Building


Harrison County Courthouse
Located at the intersection of E. Main and 3rd Street, the present courthouse was erected in 1931-1932 and is the fourth courthouse to be erected on the same sight. Harrison County was among the first jurisdictions in Western Virginia to support the union prior to the Civil War. A pro-Union meeting was called for November 24th, 1860 at what was originally the Clarksburg Courthouse just after Abraham Lincoln was elected president. (Downtown Historic District)


Harrison County Courthouse


A.G. Smith Building
This building, constructed sometime between 1890 and 1895, is located at 333-335 W. Main Street and once housed the dry goods and grocery store of Smith, Brown and Company. (Downtown Historic District)


A.G. Smith Building


Community Bank Building
Located at 300 W. Main Street, this building was constructed in 1894 to house the Merchants National Bank. Nathan Goff Jr. was president of the bank at that time. It is an example of Richardsonian-Romanesque Revival architecture. (Downtown Historic District)


Community Bank Building


The Despard Building
Located at 306-310 W. Main Street, this building stands next to the Community Bank Building and was built in 1870. (Downtown Historic District)


The Despard Building


Union National Building
This 10-story building was built in 1912. In 1966, the lobby was expanded and the entire banking quarters were renovated. The Visitors Bureau is located on street level (Downtown Historic District)


Union National Building


Towers School Site
Located at the intersection of 2nd Street and Hewes Avenue, the Towers School was built in 1895. The first school on the site was built in 1795. The Randolph Academy, chartered in 1787, was the first academy west of the Appalachians. In 1841, the building was razed and the Northwestern Virginia Academy was built on the site. The Northwestern Virginia Academy was razed in 1894 and the Towers School was erected. It was named for the Rev. George Towers who was the first tutor at the Randolph Academy. (See the Civil War Trails section for more history on the Northwestern Virginia Academy). (Downtown Historic District)


Towers School Site


Waldomore
This Greek Revival style structure was built in 1839 by Waldo P. Goff and is located at the intersection of W. Pike Street and 4th Street. Mary Goff Lowndes was born here in 1849 and spent her entire life at the Waldomore. She named the home Waldomore in honor of her parents Waldo P. and Harriet L. Moore Goff. In 1931, this building became the Clarksburg Public Library. Today, the main library is found next door but the building remains in use by the library. It was entered into the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. (Downtown Historic District)


Waldomore


Clarksburg Publishing Company
Situated at 324-326 Hewes Avenue, this building is the publishing facility for the Clarksburg Telegram, which was established in 1861 and Clarksburg Exponent which was stablished in 1910. (Downtown Historic District)


Clarksburg Publishing Company


Waldo Hotel Building
Also located at the intersection of W. Pike Street and 4th Street, the Waldo Hotel is a Moorish style building designed by architect Harrison Albright and financed by Nathan Goff Jr., who named it for his grandmother, Jervial Waldo Goff and his father, Waldo Percy Goff. The cornerstone was laid December 6, 1901. (Downtown Historic District)


Waldo Hotel Building


Clarksburg-Harrison Public Library
Designed by Marcel Breuer and completed in December 1875, the library was modeled as a system of interlocking volumes involving projecting and retreating forms that draw the eye round corners. (Downtown Historic District)


Clarksburg Public Library


Robinson Grand Performing Arts Center
Located at 444 W. Pike Street this theater was opened in 1912. It was the 13th theater in the United States to be equipped for sound movies around 1927. The theater burned in 1939 and was replaced with its current structure. It is now owned by The City of Clarksburg, opening in Spring of 2018.(Downtown Historic District)


Robinson Grand Performing Arts Center


Masonic Temple
Formally completed in 1914, it is located at the intersection of W. Pike and 5th Street. In 1928, a rear extension and an additional floor were added. (Downtown Historic District)


Masonic Temple


In the Style of Business
Unlike many of the small cities of North Central West Virginia, Clarksburg saw prosperity before the Civil War thanks to the commerce brought by the connecting road systems and the Baltimore & Ohio Railway. Many century old buildings, that go well back into the 1850s to the 1880s and before, have survived and can still be seen. Three defined historical districts are available for your exploration – the downtown historic district of West Main Street and West Pike Street with its commercial buildings, the Quality Hill historic district of East Main Street with its many century old residences and the historical district of Glen Elk on the north side that includes the railroad area, its warehouse buildings and what was the historical center of the Italian community. Our rich history is one of our greatest assets.

Get in Touch

Greater Clarksburg Convention & Visitors Bureau
215 South Third Street, Ste. 101
Clarksburg WV. 26301
(304) 622-2157
1-877-622-2157

For information on Greater Clarksburg and surrounding areas please fill in the form below